Saturday, May 31, 2014

sacred objects

When I've been building power points for my students to share work, I often look to see if I can find pictures of the insides of artist's studios. I love the parts of Art21 http://www.pbs.org/art21/  that interview folks in the spaces where they work. In the way that it is good to know who writers are and were reading, knowing what visual artists look at and surround themselves with says a lot about influences and how folks think and work.  I love that.

When I lived in Georgia, I had a friend in grad school who was a sculptor who house sat for folks. He spent a lot of time in the head of the sculpture department's home. She was a potter and taught ceramics. I loved her house and yard. One of my favorite things was her collection of dishes. She didn't have two plates, bowls or cups that matched, but they were all wonderful. They were objects she had made, objects artist friends had made, and objects students had made. The meal and tea traditions in her home meant that the guest picked out the plate, bowl or mug that they wanted to use.  It was in that moment that I realized that I wanted my house to be filled with art - real art, not that stuff you buy from Ikea - I wanted to know the hands and minds who filled my house with images. I feel so lucky today to have the art of my friends hanging on my walls.  

I don't know how many times I got told in grad school that I won the tidiest studio award. I can't work in a space that's cluttered and messy. I just wind up cleaning rather than making things - which I also find satisfaction in. . .but really that's a whole other blog.  But I had colleagues that had to clear a path for critiques and artists that I've met since who work in a busy jumble of work and research, supplies, and all sorts of things and have said they have no clue how I'm working in my space - because it doesn't necessarily look like I'm working. Whatever works, right?  It's a lot like making a home out of a place - maybe even more so because it is creative home.   And for me, studio is definitely sacred space.

What I keep around me inspires me, reminds me, and makes me smile.  I thought I would share some of those things. 

I added this alter space intentionally about a year and a half ago. Many of these object were already in my studio. They include things I have made, things friends and family have given me, art I love, and even sand from the purple sand beach at Big Sur.



Print by SJ Gibson





What sacred space isn't complete without mustache glasses. Print by Tomiko Jones. Robot give to me by my sweetheart.




The fortune reads: "Don't panic." Best. Fortune. Ever.





Print of atomic bomb painting by Harold Jones. Gasping by Ed Rusha.




Beautiful student works and magnet delight.
 



I love monsters, robots, stickers and superheroes.



The tank is a print by Chris Dacre. It moves around my studio since it also stands up. The sketch was included in a student crit.




Print by SJ Gibson.  Moose by Target.




print by Tomiko Jones

Print by Tomiko Jones



Frank - best lamp ever. Text piece by Lawrence Weiner.




Chair print by SJ Gibson. Bed postcard by Erin Sotak. Book drawings by Todd Christenson.




Tiny dinos and pandas are essential.




Optimism glass by Erin Sotak. The book is Regarding the Spiritual in Art by Kandinsky. Wind up toys are also key.





Print by Gazelle Samizay


Print by Ann Simons-Myers



Spike and Hulk

The sign came from Zak Cushing. It reads: "on the inside of this line".

“Your sacred space is where you can find yourself over and over again.” - Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment