Sunday, November 15, 2015

grieving for the world

Some days I don't know what to do with the things that I see happening in the world.  Actually I feel that way most days if I'm honest.  Often I accuse myself of having no feelings about these things. I think it is actually the battle of having so many.  As an artist, there is some call to see and find beauty in the world. But in the face of so much loss, what does it mean to be an artist?  This is a question that I find myself asking as I now walking through my first semester of seminary.  

Today there are bigger questions.  
What does it mean to live in this world right now? 
What does it mean to be a spiritual person right now? 
What does it mean about creating right now? 

What does it mean to be a witness? 

Today in my artist journal, I practice drawing mouths because so many voices are now silent.
Today I practice drawing eyes, because so many are, looking for answers, blinded by pain and prejudice, and closed in death. 
Today I practice drawing ears as a prayer for deep listening and compassion. 
Today I will try and draw hands - the hardest feature - because they are so 
essential, so needed.  

I think about our need just to grieve, that is so dishonored and policed in our culture.  "Move on." "Let it go." "Things happen for a reason."  All platitudes that diminish that grief is alive and ever present, and a part of what makes us human. 

And so for the 115,000 people whom we were allowed to know lost their lives to violence and natural disasters on Friday, I write and share these words:


there is no need
to split our grief

bodies are on the ground.
ashes are on fingertips,
in breaths.
a long and repeated
blue flashing
howl
ringing

around cities
and lines
around barricades
and bullets,
bombs,
sheets.

no need
to split
our grief
because outlines
of countries
because edges
of whiteness
because molds
of a necessary blame

no need to split
our grief
as if the shapes
of pupils,
ear lobes,
nostrils and lips,
browns -  all the browns - 
draw some
mourning as
less important.

no need to split grief.

no contour drawings
around sadness.
no borders around spirits.
lifting up has only the sky
to stop it.

no need but to grieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment